I am a Clinical Oncologist who specialise in the oncological management of Breast cancer and Melanoma. I see patients privately at The Oaks Hospital, Colchester, The Springfield Hospital, Chelmsford, The Rivers Hospital, Sawbridgeworth, Nuffield Health, Brentwood and Nuffield Health, Ipswich. In addition, I offer state of the art radiotherapy treatments at private radiotherapy centre at Genesis Care, Chelmsford. My NHS base is at Essex County Hospital and Colchester University Hospital.
I graduated from medical school in 2003 with distinction and undertook specialist training in Clinical Oncology at Cambridge. During my specialist oncology training, I also completed MSc in Oncology from the Institute of Cancer Research, London with distinction. I was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists in 2010.
After my fellowship, I completed two years of clinical research at Cambridge Breast Unit from 2011-2013. My research work was based around the use of advance radiotherapy techniques including Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) and Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT) in breast cancer treatment. During this period, I worked in close collaboration with the European Organisation of Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) and the Royal Marsden Hospital.
My main clinical and research interest is in the field of breast cancer and skin cancer including malignant melanoma. I have presented and published numerous papers as first author at prestigious international scientific meetings and journals (see below). I am actively involved with clinical research as principal investigator for clinical trials in breast and skin cancer. I also have an interest in medical education and I am part of the teaching faculty for educational meetings organised by the Royal College of Radiologist (RCR) and the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS). I am also an educational supervisor for GP trainees at Colchester.
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists, London 2010
- MSc in Oncology (distinction) Institute of Cancer Research, London 2010
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2005
- MBBS (distinction) Manipal Academy of Higher Education 2003
Research and publications
- MB Mukesh, W Qian, CC Wah Hak, JS Wilkinson, GC Barnett, AM Moody, C Wilson, and Charlotte Coles. The Cambridge Breast Intensity-modulated Radiotherapy Trial. Clinical Oncology 2016;28(6):354-64
- EJ Harris, M Mukesh EM Donovan, AM Kirby, J Haviland, R Jena, J Yarnold, A Baker, J Dean, S Eagle, H Mayles, C Griffin, A Poynter, CE Coles, PM Evans, On behalf of the IMPORT trial Management group. A multicentre study of the evidence for customized margins in photon breast boost radiotherapy Br J Radiol 2016; 89: 20150603
- EM Donovan, EJ Harris, M Mukesh, J Haviland, J Titley, C Griffin, CE Coles, PM Evans, the IMPORT trial Management group The IMPORT HIGH image-guided radiotherapy study: a model for assessing image-guided radiotherapy Clinical Oncology 2015 (1): 3-5.
- EM Donovan, C Brooks, RA Mitchell, M Mukesh, CE Coles, PM Evans, EJ Harris, the IMPORT trial Management group. The effects of Image guidance on dose distribution in breast boost radiotherapy. Clinical Oncology 2014 (11): 671-676.
- MB Mukesh, W Qian, JS Wilkinson, L Dorling, GC Barnett, AM Moody, C Wilson, N Twyman, NG Burnet and Charlotte Coles. Patient reported outcome measures (PROMs) following simple IMRT: results from the Cambridge Breast IMRT trial. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2014 (111); 270-275.
- MB Mukesh, S Duke, D Parashar, L Hughes-Davies, G Wishart, C Coles and C Wilson. The Cambridge post-mastectomy radiotherapy (C-PMRT) index: a practical tool for patient selection. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2014 (110); 461-466.
- MB Mukesh, GC Barnett, JS Wilkinson, AM Moody, C Wilson, L Dorling, CCW Hak, W Qian, N Twyman, NG Burnet, GC Wishart and CE Coles. A randomised controlled trial of Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) for early breast cancer: 5-year results confirm superior overall cosmesis Journal of Clinical Oncology 2013 (31); 4488-4496.
- MB Mukesh, E Harris, S Collette, CE Coles, H Bartelink, PM Evans, P Graham, J Haviland, P Poortmans, J Yarnold, R Jena. Normal tissue complication probability (NTCP) parameters for breast fibrosis: pooled results from two randomised trials. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2013 (108); 293-298.
- CE Coles, AM Brunt, D Wheatley, MB Mukesh, JR Yarnold. Breast Radiotherapy: less is more? Clinical Oncology 2013 (25); 127-134
- SJ Treece, M Mukesh, YL Rimmer, SJ Tudor, JC Dean, RJ Benson, DL Gregory, G Horan, SJ Jefferies, SG Russell, MV Williams, CB Wilson, NG Burnet. The Value of Image-Guided Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy in Challenging Clinical Settings. British Journal of Radiology 2013; 86:20120278.
- MB Mukesh, G Barnett, J Cumming, JS Wilkinson, AM Moody, C Wilson, GC Wishart, CE Coles. Association of breast tumour bed seroma with post-operative complications and late normal tissue toxicity: Results from the Cambridge Breast IMRT trial. European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2012 (38); 918-924
- M Mukesh, E Harris, R Jena, P Evans, C Coles. Relationship between irradiated breast volume and late normal tissue complications: a systematic review. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2012 (104); 1-10
- M Mukesh, R Benson, R Jena, A Hoole, T Roques, C Scrase, C Martin, GA Whitfield, J Gemmill, S Jefferies. Inter-observer variation in clinical target volume and organs at risk segmentation in head & neck cancers: can segmentation protocols help? British Journal of Radiology 2012 (85); e530-536
- K Eyre, D Whitney, M Mukesh, C Wilson, C Coles. Optimization and comparison of MammoSite brachytherapy using a single source, a standard plan line source and both forward and inverse planned Multi-Lumen technique. Brachytherapy 2013 (12): 107-113
- M Mukesh, D Shuttleworth, P Murray. Primary cutaneous Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 2009 (34); 673-675
- M Mukesh, N Cook, AE Hollingdale, NL Ainsworth, S Russell. Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a 15 year retrospective review of treatment and survival in the Anglian Cancer Network. British Journal of Urology International 2009 (103); 747-752
- M Mukesh, P Murray. Cerebellar Toxicity with capecitabine in a Patient with Metastatic Breast Cancer. Clinical Oncology 2008 (20); 382-383
- MB Mukesh, J. Wilkinson, L. Dorling, W. Qian, G. Barnett, N. Twyman, A.M. Moody, N.G. Burnet, C. Wilson, C.E. Coles. Can breast IMRT improve patient reported outcome measures? – Results from Cambridge breast IMRT trial. European Cancer Congress 2013.
- MB Mukesh, E Harris, S Collette, CE Coles, H Bartelink, PM Evans, P Graham, J Haviland, P Poortmans, J Yarnold, R Jena. Normal tissue complication probability (NTCP) parameters for breast fibrosis: pooled results from two randomised trials. 2nd ESTRO International FORUM meeting, Geneva 2013.
- CE Coles, MB Mukesh, GC Barnett, JS Wilkinson, AM Moody, C Wilson, L Dorling, W Qian, N Twyman and NG Burnet. A randomised controlled trial of Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) for early breast cancer: results at 5 years. 2nd ESTRO International FORUM meeting, Geneva 2013
- E Harris, MB Mukesh, C Coles, J Haviland, R Jena and P Evans. A multi-modality investigation of breast boost set-up using bony anatomy and implanted surgical International Conference on the Use of Computers in Radiation Therapy (ICCR), Australia 2013.
- CCW Hak, JS Wilkinson, MB Mukesh, W Qian, GC Barnett, C Wilson, M Moody, CE Coles. A comparison of clinician- versus patient-reported outcomes (PROMS) for late normal tissue side-effects following breast radiotherapy: results of the Cambridge Breast Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) Trial. NCRI Cancer Conference, Liverpool 2012
- M Mukesh, G Barnett, W Qian, J Wilkinson, D Parashar, N Twyman, G Wishart, M Moody, C Wilson, C Coles. Quality of life in early breast cancer: results from Cambridge breast intensity-modulated radiotherapy trial. ESTRO 31, Barcelona 2012
- M Mukesh, G Barnett, J Cumming, J Wilkinson, M Moody, C Wilson, C Coles. Association between breast tumour bed seroma and normal tissue toxicity: results from the Cambridge Breast IMRT trial. 1st ESTRO International Forum, London 2011
- M. Mukesh, M Cowen, G. Horan, SJ Thomas, MV Williams. Conformal radiotherapy vs. IMRT in paediatric neuroblastoma: comparing dosimetric advantages and secondary cancer risks UKRO, Manchester 2011
- M. Mukesh, G. Horan, MV Williams. Tomotherapy as an IMRT solution for Children: benefits, risks, problems and solutions. CCLG Radiotherapy Summer Meeting, Cardiff 2010
- M Mukesh, D Gilligan. Neo-adjuvant and Adjuvant treatment in operable Non-small cell lung cancer. Thoracic malignancies, ERS Monograph 2009: 244-259
- C Coles, M Mukesh, M Keisch. Partial Breast Irradiation. Early Breast Cancer, From Screening to Multidisciplinary Management (3rd edition)
- M Mukesh, C Coles. Partial or whole breast radiotherapy after breast conserving surgery. Oncoplastic and Reconstructive Management of the Breast: A Multidisciplinary Approach, Third Edition